A Year in Chile

Follow our family as we head south of the border for 12 months.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas, Part 3

One of my very favorite things about Christmas is all the Christmas lights people hang on their houses every year. I'm really into the whole "Snoopy's Doghouse" look. Here, I have yet to see a single light hung up. I have scoured the shelves of the grocery and hardware stores here, looking for outdoor lights. I'm convinced they simply do not exist. I think the idea of exterior lights is completely alien down here. Also, since everyone lives behind huge walls, I doubt there would be anything to see anyway.

Generally speaking, Christmas lights are very expensive here. A box of lights runs about $9,000 pesos (a little more than $18.00 USD.) Luckily there was a huge sale at Jumbo last weekend; I bought every box of clear lights I could find and I'll try to hang them outside - even if we are the only ones that can see them. At least it will feel a little more like home.

1 comment:

TheJAT said...

If you get those lights up and working, you'll have to post a nice evening picture of everyone in their summer swimwear looking at Christmas lights!